There is one thing that is non-negotiable to me and that is accountability. Accountability in everything you do. This, I argue, is the principal factor in achieving great success in all areas of life.
As a millennial in a tech-advanced world, I’ve come to learn that as humans, few things differentiate us from machines and I mean, very few things. Among those I believe is accountability. Humans make decisions not just based on rational thinking but also values, ethics, morality, empathy, and a sense of right and wrong-all things that machines don’t inherently have. People can be held accountable for their decisions in ways that machines cannot. Have you ever had an experience where your computer failed and still you are the one to blame? Yup!
Given that accountability is our (humans) unique offer, we have no room to compromise. At Lyawere, one of our core values is accountability. How do we achieve accountability? I’ve compiled below a list that can be a starting point, check out the Habits Create Results article.
- Be accountable (obviously).
- Be trustworthy. It starts with “say what you mean and mean what you say”, i.e., let your Yes be a Yes and your No be a No. This will ensure you are accountable for all the things you accept and won’t be liable for things you did not partake in.
- Be assertive. Being bold is important to get things done.
- Admit your errors. Making mistakes is part of learning.
- Communicate. And all things are possible through good communication.
As one of the accountants of Lyawere Group, some of my responsibilities are to ensure proper bookkeeping, invoicing, and monitoring company financial assets. Embodying accountability as my key virtue gives our clients, partners, and colleagues the assurance they need to focus on operations and running the business, having in mind that the accounts are properly managed. Accountability is the non-negotiable virtue.
By Hans – TLL (Today Lyawere Learns) Reflection
Lyawere Group Accountant